Friday, October 9, 2009

“This,” he says. “This is why The Beatles got it.”
“I’m afraid I’m not following…”

“Other bands, it’s about sex. Or pain. Or some fantasy. But The Beatles, they knew what they were doing. You know the reason The Beatles made it so big?”
“What?”
“‘I Wanna Hold Your Hand.’ First single. Fucking brilliant. Perhaps the most fucking brilliant song ever written. Because they nailed it. That’s what everyone wants. Not 24-7 hot wet sex. Not a marriage that lasts a hundred years. Not a Porsche or a blow job or a million-dollar crib. No. They wanna hold your hand. They have such a feeling that they can’t hide. Every single successful love song of the past fifty years can be traced back to ‘I Wanna Hold Your Hand.’ And every single successful love story has those unbearable and unbearably exciting moments of hand-holding. Trust me. I’ve thought a lot about this.”
“‘I Wanna Hold Your Hand,’” I repeat.
“And so you are, my friend. So you are.”

7 comments:

Anushka said...

I liked this post. A Lot. Irrelevant, but a song that makes plenty of sense to me these days is 'You've Got to Hide Your Love Away.'

Unknown said...

Ke boleche?

The Red Error said...

trust annorag to come up with that question.
i was just talking to this friend of mine today about something similar. where there are these sometimes when u just wanna hold ure person's hand :)

i love the beatles!
"Not a Porsche or a blow job or a million-dollar crib."

Sahana said...

This is that line from Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist no? Where Aaron Yoo says this to Michael Cera in the back of their van?

Annesha said...

Yes. Yes. Its from the book although. Not the film. And I had a similar sounding conversation with a friend.

Sahana said...

There's a BOOK?
I want.

Shrabasti Banerjee said...

Awwww. :) Came across your blog through Pinka didi's. Hello, btw. :)